Monday, July 28, 2008

stanage poem


Why I'm not a twitcher *
Unlike Molly Crawford - writer, conservationist,
twitcher - I'm a poet. I like birds, but poetry
better. I've got a grant now, a writing project.
So, I'm a poet, on the road to Stanage
and birds are singing all around.

Birds don't notice poets. Their songs
go on. At intervals I write notes
for poems. Ray eats soft cheese
with those toasted baby bagels
he likes. I wish the sun was out.

Crows caw caw, ever present and
I miss the close up as a raptor lifts,
drop the last piece of camembert
onto my notes. Some of it sticks
when I scoop it off with my fingers.

Ray smokes and I smoke and birds
sing through each click. Ray says,
"Anything to drink?" I take the top off
the water, and get the camera out.
Thinking about Molly as we drive.

We get to a marshy stretch, two
brolgas and a crane are visible, so
Ray slows the car for a photo op.
I say, "They look like wood-cuts", but
he thinks they look better than that.

I can hear birds singing all around.
We've done 50 k's dodging pot holes
on the dirt, crossing sandy creek beds
that cut the road in the wet. Ray smokes
and I smoke. I put the window down.

The camera jiggles in my lap, along with
maps and my glasses. We drive through
another patch of fog. My notebook is
filling with poems; whimbrel, limosa
limosa, and red-necked stint as titles.

Still another 40 k's of dirt to drive along
before we get where we're going. On the
road to Stanage, a whole lot of birds are
endlessly singing. I'm calling my poems
'camembert notes' when they're finished.


* a person who travels long distances
to look at birds

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

nike roshe, oakley pas cher, true religion jeans, nike air max, michael kors outlet, hollister pas cher, north face, nike free run uk, converse pas cher, north face, lululemon, michael kors outlet, michael kors, nike blazer, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet, ray ban uk, ralph lauren uk, nike air max, michael kors outlet, coach purses, coach outlet, hermes, coach outlet, lacoste pas cher, nike air max, air force, ugg boots, michael kors outlet, vans pas cher, michael kors, mulberry, burberry, abercrombie and fitch, kate spade handbags, ray ban pas cher, true religion jeans, replica handbags, new balance pas cher, hogan, sac guess, burberry outlet online, tn pas cher, timberland, ugg boots, vanessa bruno, hollister, michael kors, true religion jeans, michael kors

22/6/16 10:19  
Blogger Unknown said...

bottega veneta, converse outlet, chi flat iron, asics running shoes, hollister, nike roshe, nike air max, hollister, longchamp, timberland boots, iphone cases, nike huarache, abercrombie and fitch, soccer shoes, ghd, instyler, babyliss, mac cosmetics, birkin bag, beats by dre, herve leger, celine handbags, nfl jerseys, converse, wedding dresses, hollister, nike trainers, mcm handbags, oakley, baseball bats, vans, gucci, ralph lauren, giuseppe zanotti, mont blanc, new balance, louboutin, ferragamo shoes, vans shoes, lululemon, insanity workout, valentino shoes, north face outlet, ray ban, north face outlet, soccer jerseys, nike air max, jimmy choo shoes, p90x workout, reebok shoes

22/6/16 10:25  
Blogger Unknown said...

swarovski crystal, ugg boots uk, pandora jewelry, canada goose uk, louis vuitton, marc jacobs, moncler, moncler outlet, juicy couture outlet, montre pas cher, replica watches, supra shoes, pandora jewelry, ugg pas cher, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, lancel, karen millen, pandora charms, barbour, juicy couture outlet, louis vuitton, bottes ugg, canada goose, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, coach outlet, links of london, canada goose outlet, hollister, moncler, thomas sabo, canada goose outlet, moncler, moncler, canada goose, canada goose, barbour jackets, sac louis vuitton pas cher, pandora charms, swarovski, toms shoes, moncler, canada goose, doudoune canada goose, moncler, wedding dresses, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, moncler

22/6/16 10:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home