Monday, July 14, 2008

juggling judging 2

I have one medium pile of 'open' poetry entries now and one very small pile of 'regional' poetry entries...so I'm getting close to being able to sift the winners out - but as I sometimes like to do, I'll read through the discarded piles again, just to make sure that nothing got ditched (sometimes this happens) that should still be in the possible pile.

When I read through the entries, I make lots of little piles and bind them, so that I can track the process of discarding. A lot of work can resonate differently depending on my own mood and my own receptiveness at the time of reading. I'll probably continue to sit on these piles (mostly reading the possible pile over more throughly) until I feel that I've come to a decision.

One year, I remember ditching one poem from the pile a few times, and then a couple of days later, putting it back in. This went on for a while (it was the 'open' award pile) and then I started dreaming about the poem, and it just wouldn't leave me alone. Eventually, although it didn't win, it was left in and received a highly commended.

This year's 'open' pile has got me dreaming about poetry again, more specifically, dreaming about a couple of the poems, some of the striking lines and words in those poems and I'm waking up with those words in my head. I love it when this happens. It often happens with my own work and when it happens with the work of some other poet, it delights me no end. Poetry does not make a rational argument for itself, it can more often creep or sift in around the edges of the rational mind. Poetry is a great lurker and for this ability alone, it (the poetry?) insinuates itself into a wider field of existence and I love it for this.

Some poets who got lucky during my years of judging the 'open' include winning, highly commended and commended entrants (in no particular order) - Angela Gardner, Jena Woodhouse, Andrew Slattery, Nathan Curnow, Catherine Stewart, T.M. Collins, Jan Sullivan, Shane McCauley, Rosana Licari, Mark Miller, Lyn Oliver, Vivienne Glance, Maris Morton, John Egan, Daphne Hargraves, Raymond Southall.

Anyone who is reading this, (my few visitors god bless you) and who is an Australian, may recognise some of the names above. Regional competitions don't always attract large numbers, but the field is always well contested in the 'open' award. Prize money is smaller than the larger comps, but is often a little easier to get because of this (especially if the poetry rocks), and I guess any prize with money attached is always welcome.

So I'll be reading again later today, and I'll be sleeping on it again, and who knows what will happen. All I know at this point, is that poetry is alive and lurking...

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

michael kors, sac longchamp, replica watches, gucci outlet, longchamp, ray ban sunglasses, air jordan pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher, longchamp pas cher, nike roshe run, oakley sunglasses, chanel handbags, cheap oakley sunglasses, louboutin outlet, oakley sunglasses, nike free, nike free, ugg boots, polo ralph lauren outlet, jordan shoes, longchamp outlet, oakley sunglasses, tory burch outlet, louboutin, louis vuitton, replica watches, louis vuitton outlet, uggs on sale, nike outlet, louis vuitton outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton, tiffany jewelry, nike air max, oakley sunglasses, louboutin shoes, kate spade outlet, christian louboutin outlet, prada handbags, louis vuitton, nike air max, air max, tiffany and co, louboutin pas cher, ugg boots, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, prada outlet, burberry

22/6/16 10:18  
Blogger Unknown said...

bottega veneta, converse outlet, chi flat iron, asics running shoes, hollister, nike roshe, nike air max, hollister, longchamp, timberland boots, iphone cases, nike huarache, abercrombie and fitch, soccer shoes, ghd, instyler, babyliss, mac cosmetics, birkin bag, beats by dre, herve leger, celine handbags, nfl jerseys, converse, wedding dresses, hollister, nike trainers, mcm handbags, oakley, baseball bats, vans, gucci, ralph lauren, giuseppe zanotti, mont blanc, new balance, louboutin, ferragamo shoes, vans shoes, lululemon, insanity workout, valentino shoes, north face outlet, ray ban, north face outlet, soccer jerseys, nike air max, jimmy choo shoes, p90x workout, reebok shoes

22/6/16 10:23  
Blogger Unknown said...

swarovski crystal, ugg boots uk, pandora jewelry, canada goose uk, louis vuitton, marc jacobs, moncler, moncler outlet, juicy couture outlet, montre pas cher, replica watches, supra shoes, pandora jewelry, ugg pas cher, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, lancel, karen millen, pandora charms, barbour, juicy couture outlet, louis vuitton, bottes ugg, canada goose, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, coach outlet, links of london, canada goose outlet, hollister, moncler, thomas sabo, canada goose outlet, moncler, moncler, canada goose, canada goose, barbour jackets, sac louis vuitton pas cher, pandora charms, swarovski, toms shoes, moncler, canada goose, doudoune canada goose, moncler, wedding dresses, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, moncler

22/6/16 10:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home